Parking Passes for SENIORS
- John Jay High School
Student Vehicle Use and Parking on School Property
In accordance with Board Policy, only high school students who are issued valid parking permits are allowed to drive to school and park their vehicles in the school’s designated parking areas. Each school has a designated parking area located on-campus, which is the only area where students who drive to school are permitted to park their vehicles; there are no designated off-campus student parking areas at either high school.
The District expressly disclaims any and all liability that could arise from a student parking his/her vehicle in an area other than the school’s designated parking areas on campus, and the student and his/her parents are assuming any and all risks associated with parking of vehicles in an area that is not authorized by the school district as a student designated parking area.
In addition, any student who is found to be parking his/her vehicle in an area that is not a designated student parking area will have their parking privileges immediately revoked, and be subject to disciplinary penalties, including but not limited to suspension from school.
Please be further advised that the insurance maintained by the Wappingers Central School District may not cover claims arising from students who park their vehicles in locations other than a designated student parking area. As such, parents of students who park their vehicles in locations other than a designated student parking area may be responsible for the full cost of any medical expenses and/or suits, judgments, claims, damages, losses or expenses including but not limited to attorneys’ fees and litigation costs, arising out of an incident that occurs as a result of a student parking his/her vehicle in any location other than the school’s designated student parking areas.
The District will continue the strict enforcement of its policies and regulations related to students who drive their vehicles to school. We urge all parents to remind their children of the Board’s policy and regulations related to driving a vehicle to school.
Please refer to Section IV of the Code of Conduct - Policy 5300 for further information.
PROCESS FOR OBTAINING STUDENT PARKING PRIVILEGES
- Parking space at John Jay is very limited and district policy provides that student parking is a privilege, not a right.
- Parking passes are required
- Students must register for and take a Cape Driver Safety course with a parent or guardian. During the pandemic, this course switched to an online format. It will switch back to an in-person format when possible.
- Passes are issued to SENIORS who:
- Complete the Cape Driver Safety Course - Fall 2021 dates -August 27- September 3. Please use this link to find the code and instructions
- Maintain good attendance and behavior
- Complete an application on Family ID
- Students will be notified when their parking application has been accepted.
Students who have received an approval letter:
- Pick up parking pass from Mrs. Chapin's office, Room 223 - September 7 - 8, 2021, 7:30 am – noon.
- Bring student ID
PARKING ON CAMPUS
- Install parking pass on the inside of the windshield of the registered vehicle, above the inspection and registration stickers.
- If driving a different vehicle to school due to a maintenance issue, please pick up a temporary parking pass to be placed on dashboard.
- If a vehicle is permanently changed, your current issued parking pass must be returned in order to receive a new one.
- Student parking is the within the YELLOW lines in the student parking lot and by the athletic field.
- Be aware of restricted parking notations. Do not park in:
- Staff parking spaces marked in white
- Fire lanes
- Handicapped parking (unless you have a handicap permit from your town and you are the person with the disability)
Don't get the boot!
- The parking lot is randomly checked for passes. Unregistered vehicles will be tagged and disciplinary measures taken, which may include your car being "stickered". Repeat offenses may result in your car being booted or towed to a lot where you would need to pay to have the car returned to you.