Fishkill Elementary School

Empower...Challenge...Grow...

Scroll Global Icons
Scroll Global Icons

Empower. Challenge. Grow.

Upcoming Events

WCSD Calendar

  • Calendar

Twitter Feed

  • DASA
  • Fishkill Elementary School
    20 Church Street
    Fishkill, New York 12524

    Phone: (845) 897-6780
    Fax: (845) 897-6788
  • Our Mission 
    The mission of the Wappingers Central School District is to empower all of our students with the competencies and confidence to challenge themselves, to pursue their passions, and to realize their potential while growing as responsible members of their community.
  • FES Frog

Headlines

Principal's News

About Us

  • The History of Fishkill Elementary School
    • In 1871, construction began for a schoolhouse on Church Street. The site used for the schoolhouse belonged to the Fishkill Reformed Church and was formerly used as pasture land for the pastor’s cow.
    • In September 1891, the school opened its doors. The entire building expense was twelve thousand dollars. Mr. Edward DuMond was the principal. 
    • In 1909, this structure was completely destroyed by fire. 
    Fishkill Elementary School 
     Before the Fire in 1909  Aftermath of the 1909 Fire
     Before the Fire of 1909  Aftermath of the 1909 Fire
     
    The present building was dedicated in 1910. At that time, each room held two classes (Even the principal, Mr. Almon Nye, taught two grades). A bell was placed in the new building in memory of village resident, Mr. Oliver Barnes. Mr. Barnes was the Chief Engineer of the Dutchess and Columbia Railroad. The tone of the bell which rang each morning summoning the children sounded much like the fire bell. Confusion resulted, so the bell ringing ceased. About 30 years ago, the sixth grade classes started the tradition of ringing the bell on the last day of the school year. The fifth grade classes continue that tradition as they bid farewell each June. Along with the original two story building now stands three additions and one modular classroom. The first addition was constructed in 1952, followed by additions in 1954 and 1962. The modular was placed there in 2008.
     
    Fishkill Elementary School Today  
     
     
     
     
     

Video Library

Contact Us

CLOSE
CLOSE