Wappingers Central School District
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When do I get my 5 hour pre-licensing certificate (MV-278)?
The MV-278 will be issued after the fourth lecture class only to those students who need it. These are students who will have had their permit 6 months or longer before the end of the class or who anticipate scheduling a road test before the end of the class.
You will receive the MV-278 in lecture class from the lecture instructor.
2. How long is my MV-278 pre-licensing certificate valid for?
It is valid for one year from the date of issue.
3. When do I get my driver education completion certificate (MV-285)?
You will receive the MV-285 in the mail approximately 4-5 weeks after the end of your driver education course. It will be mailed directly to you from the driver education office. Do not call the driving school or your instructor to inquire about when it will be sent.
4. How long is my MV-285 driver education certificate valid for?
It is valid for two years from the date of issue.
5. How do I get my insurance discount?
The MV-285 is a two-part form. The top part is for the DMV and the bottom part should be sent to your insurance company.
6. What if I lose my MV-285 certificate?
We can issue a replacement copy, however, it may take anywhere from 2-8 weeks to issue the replacement and may incur a replacement charge.
7. What do I need to make sure I have before I schedule my road test?
8. How do I schedule my road test?
- A valid NYS learner permit – it must be valid on the date you make the appointment & on the date you take your road test. For practice questions & more information on getting your learner's permit, you can go to: http://dmv-permit-test.com/new-york/practice-test-1.html
- A valid MV-278 pre-licensing certificate or valid MV-285 driver education certificate – the MV-278 or the MV-285 must be valid at the time you schedule your road test, but can be expired on the date of your road test.
- If you are under 18, you must have had your permit for 6 months from the date your permit is issued to the date of your road test. However, if you are age 17, have completed driver education & have a valid MV-285 driver education certificate, this is not required.
- A completed MV-262 form – if you are under 18 you must have a minimum of 50 hours of supervised practice driving before your road test with at least 15 hours at night (after sunset.) You must bring the MV-262 (Certification of Supervised Driving) completed by your parent or guardian to certify that you have the required hours of supervised practice driving.
- You do not need the have the driving school or instructor certify & sign this form. When you get your MV-285 at the conclusion of the course, this signifies that you received the 6 hours behind the wheel in a state-approved program.
- Link to MV-262: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv262.pdf
9. Is driver education held on days that schools are closed?
During the regular school year, there is no driver education held on days that schools are scheduled to be closed.
10. What about Superintendent Conference Days?
On Superintendent Conference Days, there is no lecture class held, but in-car driving sessions may still be held at the discretion of the driving school.
11. What about cancellations due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances?
If schools are closed due weather or other unforeseen circumstances, there are no driver education classes or driving sessions held that day. If after school activities are canceled, driver education classes & driving sessions are canceled as well. Make-ups will take place on Friday of the same week that the class/in-car session was canceled.
For in-car sessions that are scheduled on Saturdays, in case of cancellation due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances, you will be contacted directly by your driving instructor.
12. What do I do if an emergency arises and I have to miss a lecture class or an in-car driving session?
13. How do I change my junior license to a senior license with Driver Education?
- If you need to miss an in-car driving session due to an emergency contact your driving instructor at the phone number given to you at the beginning of your first in-car session. Do not contact the driver education office.
- If you need to miss a lecture class contact the instructor to let him know.
- YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE UP ANY MISSED ABSENCES.
If you have a Class DJ junior license, and you complete a driver education course, you can change your Class DJ junior license to a Class D senior license when you are 17 years old.
To change the class of your driver license you must have a MV-285 Driver Education Completion Certificate.
Before Taking Road Test
If you have not taken your road test yet, give your MV-285 Driver Education Completion Certificate to the DMV examiner after your road test. The DMV will update your driver record and will automatically issue a Class D photo driver license on your 17th birthday. You will receive the new driver license in the mail within 2 weeks of your 17th birthday. There is no fee when you change the class of your driver license by this method. Your driver license record will show that you are a Class D driver. You do not need to have your Class D document to drive as a senior license driver. You can drive on your 17th birthday.
After Taking Road Test
If you did not have your MV-285 Driver Education Completion Certificate when taking your road test, you must go to a DMV office to change your license class. Bring your class DJ driver license and the MV-285 to a DMV office on your 17th birthday or any following day. Complete a form MV-44, and pay the fee of $12.50. You will receive a temporary Class D driver license, without photo, at the office. The DMV will then mail your Class D photo driver license in approximately two weeks.