WCSD New York State-Approved Driver Education Program
- This program is open to students who attend Wappingers Central School District.
- Students must be 16 years of age by the start of the first class and have a valid NY State Learner’s Permit (MV-100).
- Program is 32 sessions – 16 online class lectures and 16 driving sessions, with each student receiving 6 hours actual behind-the-wheel time while in the program. Student must attend all 32 sessions and hand in ALL online assignments to receive their completion certificate.
- For in-car sessions, students will be in a car with an instructor from American Driving Academy and two or three other students, depending upon which program they sign up for.
- This is a pass/fail course. You must pass the course in order to receive a course completion certificate.
- This program teaches the students proper techniques, laws, and responsibilities pertaining to driving in New York State. The course provides 48 hours of instruction as mandated by New York State, certified instructors, and the 5-hour NYS Pre-licensing certification.
- Upon successful passing & full completion of the entire course, students will receive an MV-285 (Course Completion Certificate) from the district in the mail approximately 4 weeks later. This provides an 10-15% premium insurance through most insurance companies, and a Class D (senior) driver’s license at age 17 upon successfully passing the NY state road test & submitting their MV-285 to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.
- The cost of the course if you are in Program I (3 students per car) is $515. The cost for Program II (4 students in a car) is $440.
- Payment can be made in cash, check made payable to WCSD or credit card. A 3.07% processing fee will be added for all credit card payments (Visa, Mastercard or Discover only. No AMEX, debit or combination debit/credit cards accepted.)
- If a student cannot be accommodated because classes are filled, all monies will be returned.
- Attendance at all online lecture classes and in-car sessions is MANDATORY. All absences must be made up. In-car absences will carry an additional charge of $20 per student per in-car session that needs to be made up. More than 4 absences may be cause for the student to be dismissed from the course. Make-up road hours will be made for excused absences only (illness with doctor’s note or family emergency.)
- Any absences in this session MUST BE MADE UP BY THE END OF THE NEXT SESSION according to NYS DMV regulations.
- Before registering, please consider your other time commitments that might interfere with your full participation with this program (i.e., sports, vacation, employment schedules and academic responsibilities.) No refunds will be given after in-car assignments have been made.
Lecture & Driving Times
- Students will have to sign in to an online lecture twice a week. Assignments must be completed on a timely basis prior to the next class. Failure to hand in assignments on a timely basis could lead to being dropped from the program with no refund (ie, you cannot hand in all the assignements the last week.)
- Students will drive every day, Monday through Friday, during the time period for the program they register.
- Students will select their driving times when completing their online registration. There are a limited number of spaces in each time slot. As these fill up, they will close out and not be available for selection.
- Students MUST attend ALL 16 lectures & ALL 16 in-car sessions in order to be eligible to receive a completion certificate. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS.
Deadline to Register is: Thursday, September 17th @ 9:00 a.m. or until the program fills up.
For more information, please call the Driver Education office at 298-5000, ext 40137 or 40130 between 9:00 am-12:30 pm.