WCSD New York State-Approved Driver Education Program
- This program is open to students who attend Wappingers Central School District.
- Students must be 16 years of age BEFORE the start of the first class and have a valid NY State Learner’s Permit (MV-100).
- Program is 32 sessions – 16 class lectures and 16 in-car sessions with 6 hours behind the wheel. You must attend all 32 sessions to receive your certificate.
- This is a pass/fail course. You must pass the course in order to receive a course completion certificate.
- This program teaches the students proper techniques, laws and responsibilities pertaining to driving in New York State. The course provides 48 hours of instruction as mandated by New York State, certified instructors, and the 5-hour NYS Pre-licensing certification.
- Upon successful passing & full completion of the entire course, students will receive an MV-285 (Course Completion Certificate) from the district in the mail approximately 4 weeks later. This provides an 10-15% premium insurance through most insurance companies, and a Class D (senior) driver’s license at age 17 upon successfully passing the NY state road test & submitting their MV-285 to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.
- The cost of the course is $410. Payment can be made by credit card, check or cash.
- There is also a separate $11 mandatory student workbook fee which is due at the orientation. DO NOT INCLUDE THIS IN YOUR REGISTRATION PAYMENT.
- If a student cannot be accommodated because classes are filled, all monies will be returned. No refunds will be given once your car selection has been made at orientation.
- Attendance at all lecture classes and in-car sessions is MANDATORY. All absences must be made up. Absences must be made up in the next session per NYS DMV guidelines. In-car absences will carry an additional charge of $20 per student per in-car session that needs to be made up. More than 4 absences may be cause for the student to be dismissed from the course. Make up road hours will be made for excused absences only (illness with doctor’s note or family emergency.)
- A parent or legal guardian MUST ATTEND the orientation with the student or the student will not be allowed to enroll in the program.
- Before registering, please consider your other time commitments that might interfere with your full participation with this program (i.e., after school activities, employment schedules and academic responsibilities.) No refunds will be given after in-car assignments have been made at the orientation.
- Application must be completed and signed by a parent/guardian and must include payment and all information requested. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- please note: If student is not yet 16, but will turn 16 prior to start of 1st class you may submit the student’s application without the permit. Please put “permit pending” on line where it asks for permit #. You MUST send a copy of the permit to the Driver Education office once the student obtains it. Failure to do so will result in a delay of the student’s 5-hour certificate and completion certificate. The student must obtain their permit prior to the 1st class.
- Enrollment is limited and will be processed on a first-come/first-serve basis. Phone registrations will not be accepted. YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER THROUGH FamilyID PRIOR TO ATTENDING THE ORIENTATION.
- Once completing your online registration, if you wish to pay by check, checks should be made payable to WCSD and mailed to: Wappingers Central School District, Attn: Driver Education; P.O. Box 396, Hopewell Junction NY 12533. Please include the student's name in the memo section of the check.
- If you wish to pay by cash, once completing your online registration, you can drop off cash at our office. We are located in the Ketcham H.S. Annex (the blue building to the left of Ketcham H.S.) Please call the office first to make sure someone will be there.
- Your application will not be considered complete until payment has been received.
- DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS FOR FALL SESSION is: Friday, September 8th
For more information, please call the Driver Education office at 298-5000, ext 40137 or 40130 between 9:00 am-12:30 pm.