WCSD Physical EducationMission Statement
It is our goal to ensure that every student be given ample opportunity to participate in a wide variety of health and skill related fitness activities that encourage friendly competition and good sportsmanship. In doing so, students will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to think critically, solve problems, and make responsible choices in regard to their fitness level. As a district, we are dedicated to ensuring a fun and safe environment where all students are given the chance to build self-confidence and strengthen peer relationships with students of diverse cultural backgrounds. As educators we are committed to preparing students to live an active and healthy lifestyle both now and in the future.Statement of Philosophy
Physical Education is that integral part of the curriculum that, through human movement, concentrates on the development of individuals' maximum physical potential and their related social, emotional, and intellectual growth.The discipline's primary purpose is to assist the learner in developing:
- Total physical fitness and lasting desire to maintain it;
- Movement abilities ranging from functional life skills to those needed for successful participation in leisure activities of their choice;
- A sense of self-worth and dignity;
- Social competencies;
- The ability to solve problems and become critical thinkers;
- Safety awareness; and
- An appreciation and understanding of specific sports and dances, including their origins, cultural impact and aesthetic values.
The truly physically educated student will have acquired both competencies applicable to any lifetime activities and a desire to retain the healthy feeling associated with fitness and exercise.