Van Wyck JHS is proud to be a fully designated "Essential Elements: Schools to Watch" award recipient.
Click here to read our designation letter.
Van Wyck JHS is a member of the Statewide Network of Middle Level Support Schools that serve to:
1. Advocate for Middle Level Education
2. Site for Showcasing Promising Practices
3. Resource for Advice and Guidance
Van Wyck JHS is a member of the NYS Tristate Consortium.
Contact UsTel. 845-227-1700 Ext. 20000Address: 6 Hillside Lake Road.
The Main Office hours during the school year Mon-Fri 7:30am-3:30pm.
Please review the documents for Code of Conduct, Attendence Agreement, Emergency Contact Form, Computer Use Agreement, and Photo/Video?Student Work Declination Form here.
School Reopening Plan
Click to review.
FROM OUR PRINCIPAL
May 5, 2023
Dear Parents and Guardians,
We are heading down the home stretch and I want to share some important information with you. Please read this information very carefully.
1. The 7th grade dance is scheduled for Friday, May 12, 2023, from 4:00 pm - 6:30 pm. Students must ride the bus home at dismissal and find their own transportation back to school for the dance. Parents are kindly asked to pick up their children promptly by 6:15 pm.
2. The Spring Pep Rally is scheduled for May 19, 2023. Students will follow a modified bell schedule during the day. Lunch periods will be altered somewhat to accommodate for the Pep Rally. The modified bell schedule will be shared with you when complete.
3. PBIS is sponsoring their first annual Staff Lip Sync/Student Talent Show event. This event is scheduled to take place in the auditorium on May 19, 2023, from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm. The program will consist of faculty and pre-approved student performances. This event is for Van Wyck students and their parents ONLY. Tickets will be sold on May 18 and 19 during lunch periods. Limited tickets will be sold at the door. This is a fundraising event to benefit the Zion Food Pantry and James’s Warriors. Patrons are asked to donate one non-perishable food item per ticket-holder as you enter the auditorium. Tickets are $5.00 to benefit James’s Warriors.
4. Student Government is sponsoring Spirit Week beginning on May 15, 2023. More information to follow about the week’s events.
5. We are required by the NYSED to participate in field testing. This year we are field testing Earth Science and 7th Grade ELA. Both tests take approximately one class period to administer and students do not receive a score. Field test questions are used to construct state tests..
6. The New York State Grade 8 Science Performance Test is scheduled to begin the week of May 22, 2023. The speaking portion of the Foreign Language Proficiency Test will begin this week as well. The Listening/Reading portion of the Foreign Language Proficiency is scheduled for June 6-8. Finally, the Writing portion of the Foreign Language Proficiency is scheduled for June 9.
7. The written portion of the NYS Grade 8 Science Test will be administered on June 5. Seventh grade students will report to school under a two-hour bus delay schedule. Therefore, 8th grade students will report to school at the regular time while 7th graders will report to school at 9:25 am. Following the Grade 8 Science Written Test students will attend all their classes and follow a two hour delay bell schedule for the remainder of the day..
8. The i-Ready Diagnostic Test for both 7th and 8th graders is scheduled for June 12, 2023 (Math) and June 13 (ELA). A modified bell schedule will be in effect on both dates and students will attend all their classes following i-Ready testing.
9. The 8th Grade Semi-Formal Dance at the Villa Borghese is scheduled for June 15, 2023, from 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm. Students and parents are reminded to review the information in the packet they received (contract) when purchasing tickets. The WCSD Code of Conduct remains in effect, as well as stipulations noted in the Student Handbook under Semi- Formal.
10. 8th Grade “Moving-Up Ceremony” in the VW Auditorium
June 20, 2023: Red Team-12:30 pm-1:30 pm; Blue Team- 2:00 pm -3:00 pm June 21, 2023: Green Team-12:30 pm - 1:30 pm; Yellow Team-2:00 - 3:00 pm 11. Field Day
The Van Wyck PBIS Committee is sponsoring a special field day event for both 7th and 8th graders on June 20, 2023. Since this is a special event requiring heightened supervision, students must comport themselves appropriately or be excluded from the event.
12. June 20, 2023, June 21, 2023, and June 23, 2023, are half-days. Students are dismissed at approximately 10:30 am when buses arrive.
In closing, please call the school if you have any questions.
Thank you and enjoy the weekend.
Dr. Steven H. Shuchat, Principal
Van Wyck Junior High School
The mission of the Wappingers Central School District is to empower all of our students with the competencies and confidence to challenge themselves, to pursue their passions, and to realize their potential while growing as responsible members of their community.