Miss Urio's Home Page
April 1, 2020 UPDATE: IMPORTANT INFORMATION: CONTINUITY OF LEARNING
Hi Everyone! First and foremost, I hope this finds you and your loved ones safe and healthy! I wanted to touch base with you all during this time to keep you up to date! Due to the school closure, we are beginning our Continuity of Learning (remote/distance learning) on Friday, April 3.
As a way of communication and sending information out, I will be posting updates on my teacher website homepage (https://www.wappingersschools.org/Domain/2590), as well as Google Classroom, and occasionally through email. All assignments will be posted on Google Classroom as well. As always, if you have any questions or need to contact me, please don't hesitate to email me at email@example.com and I will get back to you ASAP.
I reached out to those I was concerned about last week, but with new lessons starting on Friday, I hope that you have had the chance to make up any missing or incomplete assignments on Google Classroom that were assigned before school closed. If you have not done so already, please make sure you take some time today and tomorrow to work on these so you are on track and ready for Friday's new lessons! Please make sure you are also reading every day (even for 10 minutes!) to continually improve your reading/comprehension skills and fluency.
On Friday, April 3, I would appreciate if all students could log onto Google Classroom to complete a brief form to "check-in." Luckily, students have been using Google Classroom as a platform for assignments and communication since September, so to navigate assignments during Continuity of Learning for English class should thankfully feel familiar! I recommend that students check Google Classroom daily for new assignments.
I will have "office hours" daily from 12pm-1pm where I will be at my email to address any questions or concerns you may have in an immediate fashion, so that both students and parents alike can have "live" support available to them.
This has definitely been a crazy time like no other for us all, so most importantly, please make sure to take care of yourselves (physically, mentally, emotionally!) and those around you. I'm excited to begin teaching and learning with you in this way! I miss you all terribly and hope you're doing well! Please stay healthy and safe! We will get through this together! We Are Wappingers :-)
MARCH 16, 2020 UPDATE: IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Hi Everyone! I wanted to touch base with you all during this time to keep you up to date! Due to the school closure, we will be out of school for the next two weeks (March 16-March 27). It will be beneficial to keep your skills sharp during this prolonged closure, so if you find yourself with some free time, or would like to keep up with your English skills during the time off, here are some options of English-related activities you can review so you don't regress in your skills, allowing you to remain engaged and involved!
1. Complete any work on Google Classroom that is missing, or received a low grade
2. Review the notes on the Nonfiction PowerPoint which is posted on Google Classroom
3. iReady is a wonderful resource. It is always available with customized lessons for each student. Especially since you are familiar with it, please try to complete a few lessons!
4. Read! Try to read every day! Reading is one of the most important things students can do to increase and maintain skills. I know your Independent Reading books are at school, but take a look around your house or explore some online books.
5. Check out the NewsELA website. You can use your Google account/school email to set up a free account and read various articles on all types of content, including current events https://newsela.com/
6. Click on the "ELA Fun" tab on the left, and it will link you to online English games and activities
7. Journaling is an excellent way to not only be creative, but to keep your writing skills honed. You can get daily journaling topics at this webpage: https://www.dailyteachingtools.com/journal-writing-prompts.html
But most importantly, take care of yourself and those around you. As always, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you ASAP. Please stay healthy and safe!
Welcome to English Language Arts Grade 8
Email Address: email@example.com
Check out our Google Classroom!