NY STATE REQUIREMENT!
For students entering 7th and 12th grade, as of September 2016, NY State Dept of Health will be requiring these students to be fully vaccinated against meningococcal disease.
About the Vaccine:
• It’s not a new vaccine. It’s been recommended for a decade.
• Most parents already choose to vaccinate their children.
• What’s new is that the vaccine will be required for school entry as of Sept. 1, 2016.
About Meningococcal Disease:
• It causes bacterial meningitis and other serious diseases.
• Teens and young adults are at greater risk.
• It comes on quickly and without warning.
• Its symptoms are similar to the flu.
• Every case of this disease can result in death or long-term disability. Check with your doctor. Even kids who have had a shot before may need a booster to start school.