MEDICATION IN SCHOOL:
New York State law as well as local regulations strictly outline the rules the schools must follow concerning medication administered in school. The overall guidelines is that such dispensing of medication must be kept to a minimum therefore, it is administered only when necessary to be given during school hours.
We are required to follow these regulations:
1. The nurse should administer medications only as necessary.
2. Instructions for administration of medication must be in writing from the Physician and include:
a. The name of the student.
b. Medical condition of the child.
c. The name of the medication.
d. The dosage and time.
e. A list of possible side effects.
3. A letter must be on file from the parents or guardian requesting the administration of the medication by the school.
4. Medication must be brought to the school by parents or guardian NOT to be sent to school with the child
5. New prescriptions and physician's orders are required at the beginning of each school year.
6. All unused medications must be picked up by the parents or guardians at the end of the school year or will be properly disposed of.
7. All prescribed medications will be kept in a locked cabinet and dispensed only by authorized personnel.
8. If at any time the physician wishes to change the dosage, she/he must submit this request in writing.
9. A verbal or telephone request from the parent or physician is not acceptable from the standpoint of protection for the school nurse and the school.
10. Special guidelines apply to the field trips. Contact your School nurse for specific information.
11. The term "medications" is a broad one applying to both prescription and non-prescription drugs and treatments.
If your doctor states that your child can SELF-CARRY and SELF-ADMINISTER their medication, then the student can bring in the medication. The medication will be checked for correct medication, dosage, and expiration date. It will be labeled with the student name.
**Self-carry orders are required for any student, needing any medication, who wants to try out for a SPORT or wants to participate in any after school activity.
*** ALL DOCTORS ORDERS ARE VALID FOR THE CURRENT SCHOOL YEAR AND MUST BE RE-WRITTEN EACH SCHOOL YEAR. *** (The school year starts in September and ends in June)
**A notification will be sent home in June for the parent or guardian to pick up any medication that has been kept in the health office. Should the parent or guardian not pick up their student's medication then it will be properly disposed of at the end of the year.