Mr. McCartney 8th Grade English
WJHS – Green Team
8th Grade English
The purpose of this class:
a. To create more proficient readers who are able to decipherand interpret different types of writing through close readingand analysis.
b. To create more confident writers who realize the purposeand audience for their different types of writing.
c. To help develop overall reading and writing techniques andskills in accordance with NYS CCSS.
d. To instill the idea of being a life long learner.
2. Teaching techniques -a. Readers / Writers Workshop Model
b. Differentiated Instruction based upon a student’s individualneed.
c. Multi – Sensory Techniques
d. Individual work/ Pairs/ Groups and Full Class Discussions
e. Constructivist Theory
3. Language Conventions (ex: punctuation, capitalization,subject-verb agreement, parts of speech, etc.) are taughtthroughout the year.
4. My classroom is a classroom COMMUNITY and is basedoff of EMPATHY and COMPASSION.
5. There is absolutely NO BULLYING allowed in myclassroom. BULLYING will be dealt will immediately.I expect students to not only respect me, but each other asthinking and feeling human beings.
6. Assessments are done every other week on Thursdays orFridays. The assessments vary from writing assignments,quizzes, verbal evaluations, etc.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free tocontact me at: