Mission For The Class
My goal is to have my students gain an understanding, love, and appreciation
for music! Music stimulates our mind, body, and soul. It is created from a unique symbol
system that requires knowledge and understanding. Music is one of the five
basic ways people communicate with each other.
I follow the district's music outcomes, which are based on the NYS
Music Standards. The Content Standards in Music are:
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines
5. Reading to, analyzing, and describing music
6. Evaluating music and music performances
7. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside
8. Understanding music in relation to history and culture
You may want to visit http://www.nafme.org to find out more about music education.
"Children must be taught music as they are taught to read." Lowell Mason
"Whenever and wherever humans have existed music has existed also. Since
music occurs only when people choose to create and share it, and since they
have always have done so and no doubt always will, music clearly must have
important value for people."
Vision 2020 Housewright Declaration (Madsen, 2000, p. 219)