Van Wyck JHS is proud to be a fully designated "Essential Elements: Schools to Watch" award recipient.
Click here to read our designation letter.
Van Wyck JHS is a member of the Statewide Network of Middle Level Support Schools that serve to:
1. Advocate for Middle Level Education
2. Site for Showcasing Promising Practices
3. Resource for Advice and Guidance
Van Wyck JHS is a member of the NYS Tristate Consortium.
Contact UsTel. 845-227-1700 Ext. 20000Address: 6 Hillside Lake Road.
The Main Office hours during the school year Mon-Fri 7:30am-3:30pm.
Please review the documents for Code of Conduct, Attendence Agreement, Emergency Contact Form, Computer Use Agreement, and Photo/Video?Student Work Declination Form here.
School Reopening Plan
Click to review.
FROM OUR PRINCIPAL
March 17, 2023
Dear Parents and Guardians,
The purpose of this letter is to inform parents of important information:
1. Please review the Van Wyck Dress Code with your children, especially since warmer weather is approaching. A copy of the dress code can be found in the Van Wyck Student Handbook. I would like to point out that halter-tops, midriffs, spaghetti straps, low riders, flip-flops and footwear that are tripping and slipping hazards, such as slippers, are not permitted to be worn in school. In an emergency we need to ensure that footwear does not impede mobility and safe egress from the school. Hoods and hats are also safety concerns and are not to be worn.
2. Students are reminded each morning over the Public Address System that cell phones are not to be on or visible in school. Please remind your children to power down their cell phones and place them in their lockers when they enter the school to avoid them from being confiscated.
3. Ear buds and head-sets are safety impediments and are not to be worn in school. They distract from learning and are serious safety concerns in emergencies when listening to vital instructions that are of utmost importance. The welfare and safety of your children is our number one priority. Help us to enforce these safety guidelines.
4. Congratulations to Ms. Plassmann and the Science Olympiad team for making it to the state competition.
5. The date for the 8th Grade Semi-Formal dance is June 15, 2023. Ticket sales for the 8th Grade Semi-Formal dance will begin on April 18 and end on April 21. The price of a single semi-formal ticket is $70.00. Reminders and more information will follow closer to the sale dates.
6. The National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) induction ceremony is scheduled for April 26, from 7 pm - 9 pm for those students who met the criteria, applied, and are admitted to the society.
7. 7th graders will be administered computer-based tests (CBT) this year in ELA as a pilot before easing in all CBT in the coming years. The Grade 8 Test in English-Language Arts and the Grades 7 and 8 Tests in Mathematics will be paper and pencil, as usual.
The dates for the Grades 3-8 Tests are as follow:
• English-Language Arts, Grades 7 and 8: Wednesday and Thursday, April 19 and 20, respectively. • Mathematics, Grades 7 and 8: Tuesday and Wednesday, May 2 and 3, respectively. • Science 8 (Written): Monday, June 5, 2023.
8. The NYS Regents exam schedule is as follows:
• Algebra 1: June 15, 2023 (Afternoon Test) *
• Earth Science: June 16, 2023 (Morning Test)
9. Stop the Bleed Training
- Trooper Renzo will provide Stop the Bleed training to students in their physical education classes on March 28, 2023 and March 29, 2023. Thank you, Trooper Renzo, for always thinking of us.
10. Please send your children to school with only clear water bottles. Dunkin’ Donut beverages in school are not permitted. Your cooperation is appreciated.
11. Students are expected to follow their assigned schedules and be on time for all classes, including lunch. Lateness to class is defined as not being in their assigned seats when the late bell rings.
12. Moving Up Ceremony
June 20, 2023: Team Red: 12:30 pm -1:30 pm; Team Blue: 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm June 21, 2023: Team Green: 12:30-1:30; Team Yellow: 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
*The Algebra 1 Regents and 8th Grade Semi-Formal dance are on the same day. Please plan accordingly. Thank you for your continued support.
Dr. Steven H. Shuchat, Principal
Van Wyck Junior High School
The mission of the Wappingers Central School District is to empower all of our students with the competencies and confidence to challenge themselves, to pursue their passions, and to realize their potential while growing as responsible members of their community.