- Wappingers Central School District
- Voter Information
How do I get an absentee ballot?
Absentee ballots are available to registered voters who will not be in the district during all hours on the day of the budget vote for specific reasons. You will automatically be sent an absentee ballot if you are designated as permanently disabled by the Dutchess County Board of Elections.
Absentee ballots are available if the voter is:
(1) absent from the county of his or her residence; or
(2) unable to appear at the polling place because of illness* or physical disability, or duties related to the primary care of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled, or because he or she will be or is a patient in a hospital; or
(3) an inmate or patient of a veteran’s administration hospital; or
(4) absent from his or her voting residence because he or she is detained in jail awaiting action by a grand jury or awaiting trial, or confined in jail or prison after a conviction for an offense other than a felony, provided that he or she is qualified to vote in the election district of his or her residence.
Please be advised that no person can have two legal residences for voting purposes. It is not enough to own property or lease a place of business in the Wappingers Central School District. You must also qualify as a legal resident.
How do I get an absentee ballot?
Please be aware that there is a two-step process to receive an absentee ballot.
- Fill out an application for an absentee ballot.
- Fill out the actual absentee ballot to cast your vote.
STEP ONE - Fill out the application for an absentee ballot
First, you must fill out an application for an absentee ballot to confirm the reason why you will not be able to vote in person. There are three ways to fill out the application:
- You can download and print the application (PDF). Email a scan or a pic of the completed application to email@example.com or fax it to: 845-896-1693.
- You can call the District Clerk at 298-5000 ext. 40145 and ask to have it mailed to you.
- You can visit the District Clerk to fill it out in person at the District Office, 25 Corporate Park Drive, Hopewell Junction, NY.
English version: Absentee Ballot Application - English (PDF)
Spanish version: Absentee Ballot Application - Spanish (PDF)
When are applications for absentee ballots due?
An absentee ballot application must be received by the District Clerk not more than thirty (30) days (April 17) and at least seven (7) days before the election and vote (May 9), if the ballot is to be mailed to the voter, or the day before the election and vote (May 15) if the ballot is to be personally picked up by the voter or the voter's designated agent set forth on the application.
After the District Clerk receives your application for an absentee ballot, you will be mailed/given the actual absentee ballot to cast your vote.
STEP TWO - Fill out the actual absentee ballot to cast your vote
After you fill out and submit the application for an absentee ballot to the District Clerk, you will receive the actual absentee ballot to cast your vote. The absentee ballot must be received by the District Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on the day of the election and vote (May 16, 2023).
The law permits the applicant or their designated agent to deliver an application or pick up a ballot. A voting ballot cannot be obtained online.
It is important to remember that if you want your absentee ballot mailed to you, all applications for absentee ballots MUST be received by the District Clerk no later than 7 days prior to the vote. We are governed by law and there is no exception to this rule. If you plan on having it mailed to you, be sure to give yourself extra time when making the request to the District Clerk, so that you have enough time to fill it out and get it back to the District Clerk 7 days before the vote.
A suggestion is to visit the District Clerk at the District Office in person to fill out the application and receive your absentee ballot at that time. This will avoid having to worry about meeting mailing deadlines.
By understanding the two-step process of absentee ballots, all of our registered voters will be able to cast their vote during the annual District Budget Vote and Board of Education Elections. For information, contact District Clerk Alberta Pedro at 298-5000 ext. 40145.
Remember: Absentee ballots will not be accepted at the poll sites. All absentee ballots must be received by the District Clerk (at 25 Corporate Park Dr., Hopewell Junction, NY 12533) by 5 p.m. on the day of the vote.