Van Wyck Junior High SchoolTeam 7Yellow – Regents Mathematics 2020-2021
Dear students and parents/guardians,
Welcome to 7th grade regents math!
Here is some general information regarding the course as we start the year remotely. If and when we transition back to in-person learning, some of the information may change. Any changes will be communicated in a timely manner.
Learning supplies to be self-provided
1. A spiral-bound notebook. This will be used for scrapwork and assignments.
2. Something to write with. I suggest pencil or eraseable pen.3. A computer or device. (obviously!)4. Some form of a calculator.5. (optional, but highly recommended) A planner.
The course is aligned with current State Standards (Next Generation). Topics to be covered this year include:
- Ratios and Proportional Relationships
- The Number System
- Expressions and Equations
- Statistics and Probability
For a more detailed look at the standards, visit the state education website here, and click on 7th grade.
Assignments, quizzes, and tests
All remote work will be in the form of assignments, quizzes, and tests. Quizzes and tests will be announced ahead of time and must be completed by students independently.
Students are expected to attend synchronous sessions as part of their participation. Additionally, asynchronous lessons (mostly through edpuzzle) will also be used to measure participation.
Tests will evaluate student knowledge on major and minor topics. Notification of test days will be given in advance. Students are expected to study/pracitce to prepare for each test. Tests are to be done independently by the student.
Quizzes will evaluate student progress on specific learning objectives. Advance notice will not always be given for quizzes. When possible, students should study/practice for quizzes. Quizzes are to be done independently by the student.
Quarterly grades are based on the following:
Tests 50% Quizzes 30%
Assignments 10% Class Participation 10%
Absences and Extra Help
If for some reason a student can not make it to the synchronous class period, the parent must email a notification (when possible) to the teachers and attendance office. Lessons will be primarily asynchronous, so all missed material will still be available for students. If a student can not do an assignment/test/quiz by the time it is due (say from illness or other circumstances beyond the student's control), the teacher must be notified by the parent/guardian. I will not accept "I don't get it" as a vaild excuse for lateness.
My "Office Hours" are as follows:
9:35 - 10:00 am
11:05 - 12:05 pm (sometimes 12:30 if I don't have a team or parent meeting)
1:15 - 2:25
I will give extra help during these times at the student's request.
Student Online Behavior BE RESPECTFUL, RESPONSIBLE, and SAFE!
1. Students must be in the class meet as close to the start time as possible. Students who do not meet for at least ten minutes will be considered late, students who never show will be considered absent.
2. Students are expected to mute their microphones unless being directly addressed by the teacher or if the teacher gives permission. When speaking, students must not use profane language or make suggestive/rude remarks.
3. Students are urged to keep themselves in the frame with minimal distractions in the background if possible. No vulgar or rude images will be tolterated!
4. Students must remain in the meet until the teacher ends it.
5. All students must follow the rules written in the school district handbook (remote edition).
Although Google Classroom will provide you with the information you need, the teachers of team 7 Yellow have a website that will allow you to visit individual teacher websites here: https://www.wappingersschools.org/Page/5856
You may email me with any questions at: