Name _____________________________________ Date _______________ Period _______
Roy C. Ketcham
English 11 Regents
What you need to know to be successful this year
Requirements for this course
· English only binder filled with paper – these may sometimes be collected for a grade
· English folder to be in the binder – you are required to hold onto all handouts and returned assignments in order to keep track of your grade
· Bring all materials to class everyday – the book we are reading, your binder, homework, and a pen or pencil. It is necessary to be prepared in order to actively participate in class everyday.
· Attendance. Being in class is important in all subjects. This is especially true in English; most of what goes on in class cannot be duplicated. Eleventh grade is a pivotal time. You must be responsible for your learning. If you are absent you must get the class notes from someone else. If you miss a quiz or test you must make it up within three days of returning to school. If you are absent for an extended period of time we will make special arrangements. If you are absent when a paper/project is due you must hand it in the day you return to class. See the Late Work Policy if you have further questions.
· Follow all school rules. Everyone in my class is entitled to a safe and encouraging learning environment. Therefore, I expect for everyone to be polite and respectful to one another. If not, I will give you a warning, followed by a phone call home and an afterschool detention followed by a referral.
Late Work Policy
For major assignments 5 points will de deducted for every day it is late. Homework will not be accepted late as we will be using it in class the next day.
I keep and update a web page online with a listing of class assignments, upcoming projects, tests and due dates. You can access this through www.wappingersschools.org. Follow the links for: Schools, Roy C. Ketcham, and Teachers, then click on my name to keep up to date with my class.
Tests and Quizzes 30% Essays and Projects 30%
Classwork and Participation 25% Homework 15%
As much as this is my class it is YOUR class. As such your participation especially in discussion is required. Believe me class is much better when you have positive on-topic comments to contribute. If it’s just me up here talking class will get really boring really fast.
The Regents Exam consists of four parts:
· Part one: eight multiple-choice questions regarding a listening passage
· Part two: twelve reading comprehension questions on two passages you’ve never seen before
· Part three: five multiple-choice questions regarding two pieces you’ve never seen before (a passage and a poem) as well as writing two paragraphs. One about a controlling idea in both pieces and one about a literary element present in piece.
· Part four: a Critical Lens Essay about two works you have read in high school.
Your Regents Exam counts as your Final Exam for this class.
If it is necessary to contact me you may do so through the Ketcham English Office. The number is 298-5100 ext. 158. You may also e-mail me at: Valerie.firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
If you are in a team class and wish to contact Ms. Koretsky, her number is 298-5100 ext. 147 and her e-mail address is Kara.Koretsky@wappingersschools.org.